Monday, October 14, 2019

Don’t judge a designer by their looks!


This article was originally shared on - https://www.yujdesigns.com/dont-judge-a-designer-by-their-looks/


‘Don’t judge a designer by their looks’ – words I often want to think out loud.

Every time I meet a new client for work, I see hesitation in their eyes and reluctance in their behavior – Does she know anything about UX? Would she be able to deliver UX! She doesn’t “look” experienced, how will she design our product? Should I ask for someone else?

(maybe they are thinking – someone who looks more experienced)

During the first few months of my professional life, my confidence would plummet every time this happened. It frustrated me to the point that I wanted to look older because I was concerned about how I was being perceived by others. I wasn’t given a chance to showcase my work because I ‘looked’ young and it made me feel horrible.

But then I realized something – Every time these doubtful eyes were laid on me, it sparked a little fire within my creative soul. I consciously made it a point to improve my design process. Because now I had something to prove: to myself and to the whole world. I reached out to my mentors and peers who guided and supported me in my quest for identity. I consciously learnt to provide design rationale, which also helped me better my designs, to think out of the box and to design ‘beyond my years’. I learned to base my concepts on thorough user research. I realized that if i wanted people to take me seriously i had to sell my designs with more confidence, i couldn’t bank solely on my aptitude, i also had to alter my attitude.

And guess what.. It worked! The very same clients came around – they started acknowledging my thoughts and ideas, they started believing in my capabilities and yes, they all realized that they were too quick to make a judgment. Some of them apologized for their behavior in their own ways (though I never expected one), some by directly saying it and others by putting their faith in me for more UX work, either way it made me happy.

To read more, visit: 
https://bit.ly/2VGw66p

No comments:

Post a Comment